Serving the St. Augustine area of St. Johns County before integration, and as the only public high school after integration, St. Augustine High School has left its mark on the lives of many area residents, whether they were students, teachers, parents, community members, or all of the above.
Built in 1959, the school admitted its first class in January 1960. Immediately prior to that time public high school students in the St. Augustine area attended Ketterlinus High School or Murray High School. Students in the north end of the county were transported to Duval County to attend Fletcher High School. When St. Augustine High School was first constructed, it was built to serve 900 students.
With the advent of St. Augustine High, Ketterlinus became a junior high school. Today it is an elementary school.